02 July 2008

Nicole's New Favorite Thing To Do

Whenever I have spare fabric, Nicole begs me to make her a purse. In this case, the fabric was left over from Nicole's curtains, and instead of making them myself, I decided to go about things the long way.

As you know, Nicole is nearly six years old, and hence, mature enough to sew her own purse, methought. As predicted, Nicole took the matter most seriously, but still managed to have enough fun to mutter, "Mom, sewing is my new favorite thing to do!"She's very conscientious about keeping the fabric straight, and can finagle the whole operation solo, even the pedal (which rests on a gun case to boost the height).

Today she took it upon herself to sew curtains for her Polly Pocket doll house (we made it out of cardboard boxes -- if it lasts, you might be treated to a photo or two), and didn't need my help at all. She remembered all of the steps (even the backstitching), and looked like an old pro sitting at the machine.

I hope she always enjoys sewing as much as she does right now.