24 May 2007

Thanks for the Madness

Thirteen years ago, my parents built their house in South Weber primarily on their own. I remember being excited at having a new place to live since we had talked of moving several times before we actually did. You know, sometimes the anticipation is just as fun as the actual event. At any rate, one evening, my dad invited me on a trip to Home Depot to pick up more lumber for the framing. I allotted one hour for the trip, including commuting time.

I had no idea what was coming! After we arrived, I assisted my dad in hand selecting lumber for the next three hours. Each board was required to pass inspection by being unwarped, devoid of large nicks, etc. I couldn't understand why it even mattered. Couldn't we ask Home Depot to scoop up a large stack and deliver it to our house, like everyone else? Noooo, that would result in spending more time because we would have to inspect the boards on site and return the unworthy ones.

I thought my dad was nuts (which nuts have been passed onto me, by the way) until I heard a man on HGTV say the unthinkable: "Be sure to carefully examine all of your boards before you buy them. If a board doesn't lay flat, you will not be able to nail it flat ..." He continued on in carpenter babbling for a few more minutes. But he was just as insane, I mean brilliant, as my dad!

Nicole's the same way. During our previous two trips to the children's museum, Nicole has coincidentally been outfitted in denim jeans and a blue tee-shirt. The opening exhibit is one with hundreds of round balls available in several colors that kids can collect in buckets to drop down pipes or holes. Guess what this neurotic little girl did ... carefully selected only the blue balls for her bucket. You should have seen the people stare. She looked like a giant blueberry from clothes to toys.

The madness continues.

No comments: