16 May 2007

It's Time for a Psychiatric Evaluation

My sister's car is so cool. It has all of those extra gadgets that you normally opt out of when you buy a car. The feature that provides us with the most entertainment is, by a landslide, the satellite radio. We drove all over town this weekend blaring hits from the 90s. I heard songs that I had forgotten even existed, including Whatta Man from Salt-n-Pepa.

When the song was first out (had to have been at least 15 years ago), I disliked it immensely. My sister, on the other had, loved it and we listened to it wherever she drove me. (Headache.)

So this weekend when I heard the rap beats begin, I secretly rolled my eyes. And since I was subjected to the song against my will (I couldn't very well jump out of moving car), I paid attention and the lyrics made sense! And I liked them. And I wondered what else I had been missing for all of these years. And then I remembered that I'm 26 and it's crazy to relate to a rap song that was in vogue more than a decade ago. It's just so juvenile ...

I won't embarrass myself by publishing the song in its full glory, but let me leave you with the chorus:
What a man, what a man, what a man
What a mighty good man
(Yes, he is!)

No comments: